There’s something about hearing people talking about travelling that makes you want to drop everything; it makes you want to get on the next plane or drive into the unknown. Whether you’re listening to someone tell the story of their travels or it’s a made up fantasy from a book, it inspires and encourages you to pack a bag and leave.
There’s so many quotes in the world relating to travel, so I thought I would share just a few of my favourites. Everytime I read these quotes, I just want to leave. Leave my commitments and worries behind, find myself in the unknown and search for the adventure I’m longing for in life.
- “But that’s the glory of foreign travel, as far as I’m concerned. I don’t want to know what people are talking about. I can’t think of anything that excites a greater sense of childlike wonder than to be in a country where you are ignorant of almost everything. Suddenly you are five years old again. You can’t read anything, you have only the most rudimentary sense of how things work, you can’t even reliably cross a street without endangering your life. Your whole existence becomes a series of interesting guesses.” – Bill Bryson.
- “Personally I like going places where I don’t speak the language, don’t know anybody, don’t know my way around and don’t have any delusions that I’m in control. Disorientated, even frightened, I feel alive, awake in ways I never am at home.” – Michael Mewshaw
“We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. We travel to open our hearts and eyes and learn more about the world than our newspapers will accommodate. We travel to bring what little we can, in our ignorance and knowledge, to those parts of the globe whose riches are differently dispersed. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more.” – Pico Iyer.
- “The wanderlust has got me… by the belly-aching fire.” – Robert W. Service.
- “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.” – Mark Twain.
- “Cities were always like people, showing their varying personalities to the traveller. Depending on the city and on the traveller, there might begin a mutual love, or dislike, friendship, or enmity. Where one city will rise a certain individual to glory, it will destroy another who is not suited to its personality. Only through travel can we know where we belong or not, where we are loved and where we are rejected.” – Roman Payne.
- “It’s not the destination where you end up but the mishaps and memories you create along the way.” – Penelope Riley.
“To me travel is more valuable than any stupid piece of bling money can buy.” – Raquel Cepeda.
- “Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.” – Ray Bradbury.
- “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher.
Is it time for my next adventure yet? I want to be back on the road.
Do you have any favourite travelling quotes? Maybe they’re not travel related at all, but just something you feel speaks to you. Comment below and tell me.